Wednesday, May 04, 2011

30+ Day Challenge

Day 2: Meaning behind your blog name.



As a kid, I was a fan of Jonny Quest.  I used to watch the show every Saturday morning.  


Now, I know that they were not trying to present a model of a gay couple, Benton Quest/Race Bannon were almost an ideal example of a two-father household.  They both did the parenting, they both cared for situations.  They were both manly men.


There was a backstory about how Benton became a single parent, and I remember something about Race going on a date or something.  But in general, there was no addressing how Benton/Race were related to each other.  They were just two guys who did everything together.


So, for a young, confused kid, they presented a great role model.  I know I did not have that developed of a concept at the time, but the image stuck.  So when I was looking for a pseudonym for my blog, Dr. Benton Quest came to mind.  He was smart, he was self-assured, he was attractive, and he was a ginger!  He had a career and a partner who was every bit as masculine and self-assured as he was.  To me, he became the ideal of what a gay relationship could be.


So thanks Hanna-Barbera Productions for presenting the world with a great example of what a gay marriage can look like.

No comments: