Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Square Root Day and Other Things


I guess I have always been a geek!

Today is a square-root day. What this means is that the day and month are the square-root of the year. 3 X 3 = 09. The first square-root day I celebrated was on September 9, 1981. I was a Sophomore in high school. It was the last square root day of 20th century. (Some may say, "But what about October 10, 2000?" Actually, that will be the last square-root day in the 21st century. 10 X 10 = 100)

I have done things like this almost my whole life. When I was a kid, I used to figure out what fraction of my paper route was finished. After delivering the first paper, the route was 1/64 finished. After the second, 1/32 finished, etc... It helped to keep my brain occupied during a really brain-dead task.

Speaking of really brain-dead tasks (Ben reaches up and takes off the clerical collar) THE BIGGEST PAIN IN THE ASS AT WORK GOT SUSPENDED!!!!!! SHE MAY EVEN GET FIRED!!!! Why this couldn't have happened about four months ago; I know not. And part of me feels kind of guilty enjoying the hardship this girl is going through. But there is another part of me that thinks this may not have happened if the management had been on top of things and did not just let things slip.

Speaking of slip,... Nope, no witty transitions here. Darn!

We have signed a lease for a new place. We will be moving in mid-April. I am excited because the townhouse has a basement which means that I can have all my glass stuff near by. No more driving across the state to get to it. Hopefully this will mean that I will be more prolific as an ARTEEST! One of the places we looked at was right across from the stained glass store. That would have had its up sides, but also some obvious down sides.

I have been transfixed by Facebook lately. I am wondering if part of this is...(Huh, *sighs wistfully* Ewan McGregor is singing to me from the television. Most people think he is singing to Nicole Kidman, but I know better. Oh, where was I?) due in part to the dopamine system in the brain. Facebook has the ultimate reinforcement schedule. You never know who is going to be there and what is going to happen. As our brains try to figure out the patter, we keep getting drawn back in. I have gotten hooked on Hatchlings, especially. I want some of the limited edition eggs and there is always the possibility that the next nest will have one.

I need to learn C++ or Python or something because I want to do some programming that I am sure I cannot just find. It kind of sucks to have some ideas that you know can be made but are lacking the know how or finances to make them happen. Oh well.

Looking back at this post, I would almost assume I have entered a manic phase in my life. I have never been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but that doesn't mean it can't be there. If I do have it, is there any way to remove the depressed pole while leaving, if not the manic, then the hypo-manic stage? I guess that is why people take speed. The unfortunate thing is that my manic phases involve more mental aspects. If it involved physical, then I would be a svelte god. But at this point, I resemble more the Buddha than the emaciated Jesus.

In any of the religious traditions, was there ever a buff god? Maybe Tigeryogiji could shed some light on this. In Christian traditions, Jesus is usually physically depicted on the wimpy side and God is usually portrayed as an old man.

If these thoughts are incoherent, sorry.

No comments: