Friday, September 05, 2008

Food Meme


This one has been flying around so I guess I will play along.

1) Bold all the items you have eaten.
2) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

1. Venison - My brother would marinade it and grill it. Not too bad.
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari - Yes. I love it!
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich – I still eat them.
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes – Yes, I love cherry wine.
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries – I used to walk in the park by my house and "graze" on the berries. It was heaven.
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans - Yes, love it!
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche - Great stuff!
28. Oysters - Yes, I even like blue points on the half-shell.
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl – Yes, from Panera, but still good.
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut – Yep. Even thought I am German, I hate it.
35. Root beer float – Yes, especially A&W root beer.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo – Yes, I am a fan of most Cajun food
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects – No. And I have no desire to!
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk – I have had feta and also goat's milk ice cream.
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - I like scotch, but not at that price.
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - Of course the free ones, but also ditched church to have donuts and coffee in Spokane. Great stuff!
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly Pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal – No. I dislike most of the stuff on a Big Mac.
56. Spaetzle – Yes. Pretty good! That German background.
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV - Of Course!
59. Poutine - It was ok, but if I want to clog my arteries, I will stick with deep fried cheese curds.
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores – Uh, duh! I worked as a camp counselor for 5 summers.
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs - I would feel sorry for those poor amputee frogs.
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - Yes to all four.
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - Yes,once and only once!
71. Gazpacho – Yes. It was at a birthday party for a one-year-0ld.
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill .
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - Yes, apple was my favorite. But I never had one in years.
78. Snail – Yes, in wine sauce.
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict – Yes. I order it often.
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash -Yes.
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam – Yes, but not too often.
92. Soft shell crab - Had it in Texas. I had to wait for it to be unloaded from the boat.
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish – Yes.
95. Mole poblano – Good mole poblano is a sublime experience.
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

Bonus: What food item have you tried that should be on this list but isn't? Lutefisk! The piece of cod that surpasses all understanding. If it weren't ethnic, it would be illegal.

3 comments:

Lemuel said...

I love Garrison Keillor's line about Lutefisk: "the Norwegian delicacy of cod fish soaked in lye that would kill any non-Norwegian who tried to eat it."

However, I *am* reporting you to the National German Sauerkraut Board!

Ur-spo said...

#79 is worth a try someday, just don't tell starbucks.

Steve F. said...

A friend is fond of saying "70 percent of all lutefisk is eaten by otherwise sane Norwegian Lutherans. All the rest is thrown out."

An interesting list. There's just something about a Big Mac, though - one of the most toxic things for an over-50 guy to eat, but there's something...

And while I have eaten Krispy Kreme donuts (they are the major sponsors of the National Storytelling Festival), I would really rather not. "Sugar-sprinkled fried air" is my best description for them. Give me a Dunkin' Donuts cake twist and coffee anyday!