Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Oscillations

I think it was in the book The Screwtape Letters, where there is a discussion of the oscillation of our lives. Things in our lives ebb and flow. Seasons come and go. (Sounds like a song!) According to the book, we really can't stay in one place too long.

Well, I keep feeling the swing. I feel fine with things, then I feel horrible. I feel life is going well, then I feel like my life is falling apart. Well now I am in the "things are falling apart" part of the oscillation.

I got a phone call from a former colleague. He just called to see how I was doing. I was actually quite surprised because we were just acquaintances, we never really talked. He would know though, because his wife is an assistant to the bishop. But we talked for almost an hour and it was nice, but it also made me sad. Maybe someday I will get over being sad and upset and realize that the ELCA is what it is. But it still saddens me and makes me angry.

I know that it was not his intent to sadden me, it just happened. I guess the bad times are getting farther and farther apart.

Good News!

Nick had an interview today! Hopefully I won't jinx it by posting about it! It would be here so I could be closer to him. That would be nice.

4 comments:

Lemuel said...

best wishes to Nick! may he have good news, close to you, that will oscilate your world to the positive.

Old Pastor said...

You are such a sweet thing! Thanks for the job plug.

Ur-spo said...

You are referring to Screwtape's comment on the Law of Undulation.
People's natural propensity to go up and down in their energies.
Ever hear The Screwtape Letters read by John Cleese?
Fantastic.

Doug Taron said...

It's been years since I read The Screwtape Letters. I used to read quite a bit of C.S. Lewis. Good luck to Nick on the interview.