Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Thoughts on Marriage

Well, Nic and I went and did it.  We got married, legally.  We drove to Iowa and did all the legalities.  Our legal anniversary is Jan 2, 2012; or for people like me who are a little help in remembering things, 1/2/12.

The whole marriage thing had a bit of cloak-and-dagger about it.  My family had let me know previously that the whole "two men getting married" was just a little too weird for them.  They have always treated us well, and when we visit, we are not excluded from anything, but they do not seem to be able to fit their world view around the concept that Nic and I not only want to live together, but we want our relationship recognized like any other couple.  So we arranged for a local, gay-friendly pastor to do a small service and to sign the papers.  We are planning an affirmation of vows later at Nic's church.

It is just kind of sad that we could not celebrate our love for each other in the manner as the rest of the world.  But it is what it is.  And we still have the problem of being legal in Iowa and other states that recognize same-sex marriage, but not recognized in other states nor on a national level.

But, even with all of this, I am MARRIED!  The man that I love and I have declared to the world that we intend to stick together until "death do we part."

And that is something to smile about!

No comments: