Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thoughts on Vacation and Being Back

Nick and I overlooking Chattanooga from Lookout Mt. 
Vacation was a wonderful thing.  I actually was able to relax and to totally put much of the troubles of the church out of my mind.  It is amazing what a few palm trees and the sound of the surf can do for one's psyche.

One of the things that I did notice while on vacation is how clueless people can be.  I don't know if it is just that they are away from home also so they feel like they don't have to care, or what.  One incident that comes to mind was in Universal Studios.  Nick and I were having lunch in an Irish Pub when a man started to play music on his guitar.  He had a list of songs and we were asked to give requests.  Once the man began playing, a child turned up his video device of choice so that it was louder than the floor show.  I asked the kid to please turn it down and he completely ignored me.  I touched him on the shoulder and he still acted as if I did not exist.  Finally the boy's male parental unit (don't know if it was his father or what) told the kid to turn it down.  Then the parental unit said something about being allowed to drink when the kids are occupied.  Why bring the kids all the way to Orlando just to have them play video games?   And how rude!  We would have been smacked if some adult talked to us and we totally ignored the person.

Then there were the two people breeding in the line to the Simpson's Ride.  If Nick and I had done what they were doing, we would probably have gotten kicked out of the park.  When I told them that I didn't want to see them have sex. they were offended.  But, of course, it is the gays who are constantly forcing our sexuality on other people.

I loved the laid-back attitude in the Keys, I could get to like that.  I know if I lived down there I would be broke!

Re-entry was fun, ha ha.  I was greeted with a letter in the newsletter by a friend of the former secretary telling the whole congregation that we need to get rid of the priest and the secretary so that we have enough money to sponsor a bowling team.  Well, not that simple, but that is the gist.  All we need to do is get rid of the priest and the congregation will just perk up and become a hotbed of volunteerism.  Of course this was not passed by me before it was distributed.  Another example of how there is no respect for any kind of authority.

We will be having a meeting next Sunday to discuss our fate.  A part of me really just wants to get out of here.

No comments: