Thursday, August 24, 2006

Another spin around the Sun


I was just thinking: It was about a year ago I stumbled into a MCC church and met Nick. He was preaching that Sunday. Actually, I really didn't even speak with him then. As I remember, there was a few "explosions" among some members of the congregation and Nick was trying to put those out. So I ended up going out for lunch with one of the members of the congregation. It was very nice. It was nice to be able to be out and about and be able to check out the guys and not feel guilty.

I later contacted Nick to talk and to try to understand what it means to be gay. I hoped to have a spiritual mentor to help me through this whole thing. It was difficult and scary to be alone and trying to learn what it meant to be gay, male, middle-aged, and a pastor.

We met a few weeks later just to talk. As you could guess, I had a ton of questions. I had heard so much about the "gay lifestyle" and really didn't have any idea what this meant. I also had to deal with the rules of the ELCA which say it is ok to be homosexual, you just can't do anything about it. So we talked, then we had burgers and beers, and I went home.

I may have went home alone, but I was changed. I was on a journey I had never thought I would travel. But I was on my way.

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

my partner and I joke about the 'gay lifestyle' every weekeend, when we run around doing chores, cleaning house, getting the groceries and paying the bills.
really no different than anyone else.
Perhaps with a bit more flair at times.

BentonQuest said...

I need to work on the flair too! ;)