Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Gary Gygax dead at 69


I just heard about this. A part of my childhood has died. Well, that may be a bit melodramatic, but Gary Gygax was an important part of my high-school years.


If you have never heard of Gary Gygax, you obviously didn't play Dungeons and Dragons. Gygax was the creator of D&D and I spend a large part of my high-school years playing. I even got out of work early so I could play. We had a group of about 15 kids who would get together and play into the wee hours of the morning. It was a lot of fun.


I had some of the coolest dice. I even had a set that glowed in the dark!


I just find this sad.

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

i still use the word 'Stirge' to describe a blood sucking or energy depleting person.

TigerYogiji said...

I never played D&D, but I grew up in it's heyday.

Did you ever hear of a game called Cosmic Wimpout? It was popular around that time too!