Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What's Been Up

I don't know if I ever wrote about the last service at the church.  It has been a while now, and that probably helps to give me some clarity.  To say it was a surreal experience would be a gross understatement.

The situation of the stained glass continued.  Even on the day of the last service, we were dealing with the whole "we feel we deserve the stained glass."  Even after telling the players that if it was donated to the church, it belonged to the church, it still continued.

I got to the service early, which was a good thing.  A colleague arrived early which was nice; having the support during this time was need.  The bishop arrived shortly thereafter and proceeded to piss me off.  I asked what I needed to do and he looked at me like I lost my head.  He said, "Nothing."  I said, "So do I sit in the congregation?"  Again the look like I was nuts.  "No, you vest and read the gospel."  (I hate being made to feel like a fool when I have no idea what is happening.  I have never closed a church before.)

Only two of the board members were present.  One was sick, but the other two just decided to not show up. I guess it just exemplifies the situation.  The leadership could not even come.

There were colleagues, former parishioners, and local clergy there.  The people that I did not want to show up did not show up.

All in all, it was a good thing.

After the service, we too off for Iowa to celebrate my parents' birthdays.

No comments: