Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Some Explaination on the Last Post

"You know you are having a bad day when you call the suicide prevention line and they put you on hold."

If you have read this blog for any time, you know that things here at Quest Labs have been pretty touchy. I have been having trouble with the Unemployment System here in Michigan and have been waiting for over a month for a check. I called this morning to see about the check that was supposed to be arriving. I found that it wasn't sent yet and that if I would only follow the rules I wouldn't have these problems. After telling the phone person that I do not expect to be lectured by someone who is to help me, the phone person proceeded to tell me that I needed to get a calender and that my check was again going to be delayed. At which point I said that that was wonderful and the state could deal with my estate. The phone then got thrown across the room.

I then decided to call someone, somewhere. I am not good at asking for help so this was quite a step for me. All the places I called (except 1) ended up being answering machines telling me that my crisis was not at the proper time. That I if I wanted help, I would need to not kill myself until after 4 pm. Even the National Gay Lesbian Crisis Line had a message. I was getting desperate.

I finally called the Trevor Project which says it is the only 24-Hour National Youth Crisis Hotline. Now I know that I am not a youth, but I was getting desperate. So I call and when I get someone on the line, the first thing he says is, "Is this a joke?" To which I say, "No" then he says that they only deal with teens to which I say "Fine." I hang up and throw the phone for the second time.

Then I got pissed. And the getting pissed gave me something to keep me going. So in the end, they did help; it just sucked how it happened.

I also go in touch with the unemployment office and registered my complaint about their staff and got the whole check situation worked out.

I still find it scary that when I needed someone, I couldn't find anyone. I can envision a scenario where this whole thing ended very differently.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it eventually got all worked out. And good on you for registering a complaint.

Ur-spo said...

i agree; if you keep trying you will find what you need.

Vic Mansfield said...

Call me. Email me. Let's chat.