Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Why "Dr. Benton Quest"?

I guess I should explain why my blog is titled as it is.
Benton has to be one of the best role models for gay kids in existence. Here is an attractive, older, intelligent, masculine man living with another man. He is out there living life and he and Race Bannon have a nice life together.

I know Hanna Barbara probably does not sanction this understanding of the cartoon, but if we look, it makes sense. Unfortunately, Benton and Race must live closeted. But who are they really fooling.

When I finally started to come to grips with my sexuality, I took Dr. Quest as a kind of mentor. I hope to be able to hold my head high as a man first, and a gay man next. It is my hope that eventually, we will not have to make the differentiation between a man and a gay man.

No comments: