Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Home Alone

I spent last night home alone. Not out by choice. Not because of strife. I spent last night alone because Nick was in the hospital.

On-going blood pressure problems, chest discomfort, and a family history of heart problems finally sent Nick to the local doc-in-a-box. From the doc, he was sent to the hospital. Today they will do some tests.

How will we pay for this? I don't know. Nick is the major breadwinner here. How do we meet the bills? I don't know. What happened to the American dream? Why can't the richest country in the world take care of its own people?

This frustrates me to no end. It becomes a downward spiral: No insurance, don't go to the doctor as needed, wait until it is an emergence, end up in hospital. Along with this is the stress of being in a job with no sick benefits so for everyday of sickness - that is a day of no pay. People are out paying $3000 for a purse while others are dying for lack of care. I don't get it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O man!

The first concern naturally is Nick! I hope he is okay. I'll add that to my "special requests" column as I talk to the Big Guy.

Secondly, I understand your concern and stress over the implications of what you had to do. I don't have the practical answers for you, just the assurance that this need will also be a matter of "intense conversation".

Wayne said...

I soooo know what you mean. Craig and I are paying $786.00 per month for health. AND we don't get Optical, Dental, or Prescriptions.
I don't know how much longer we'll be able to afford it!
At least all was well.