Friday, April 21, 2006

More coming out!

Here is where the story starts.

Hi Bill,

What is your take on Jesus' words about lusting in your heart? I have been noticing this more since I have not been blocking any feeling I may have toward a man. I hate to admit it, but it is kind of fun! I have never felt this before. I am starting to understand what my friends meant when they talked about their girlfriends. Part of me says I should block these thought, another part says to let them play out and eventually they will receed into the background. The more I pay attention to them, even to try to block them, the more "important" I make them. Any thoughts?

Ben,

I think Jesus used a lot of hyperbole, making gross exaggerations for illustrative purposes. I think lustful thoughts when you're otherwise committed can be dangerous, but for single people ... sometimes it's all you have. Jesus also said to amputate yourself or poke out an eye if it causes you to sin, but no one actually does it. I think it has more to do with discipline.

I would agree that trying to shut out thoughts only causes them to become more fierce. Let them play out ... fantasy is healthy. To repress these thoughts and feelings can turn them into dangerous obsession, and then you have a whole new world of trouble. My vote is to enjoy it - God gives us imagination for a reason, and our sexuality is a precious gift inside of that. I say go for it!

No comments: