Friday, September 03, 2010

Some Reflections on Not Having Kids

I was stumbling around this morning when it dawned (well, not really, it is cloudy) on me that it is LABOR DAY WEEKEND!

When I was a kid, this was a fairly big thing.  We would have to go on some kind of picnic.  Often we would go to a farm field that was the family picnic area.  (There was a swimming hole, horse shoe pits, and a waterfall) or Gov. Dodge State Park in Wisconsin.  The process of getting ready was quite a production.  Had to pack food, clothes, water, kool-aid, all that stuff.  Oh, and beach toys!

Now, Labor Day can come and go with little notice.  Monday is a usual day off for Nick and me so that is not a big reason for celebraton.  Nick's family is about 30-40 miles away, my family is 8-10 hours away.  We don't do the family thing anymore. Jerry Lewis is getting old. (In more ways than one!)

But I miss the Production Number Picnic.  No matter where we went, there was always things to explore, music to listen to, and water.

I don't know if the rest of our lives can ever live up to the LAST HURRAH of childhood summer.

No comments: