Friday, September 25, 2009

Continued Thoughts on Depression

I really wish people would stop using the "Count Your Blessings" method of trying to cheer people up.  On many levels, it really doesn't work.  Actually, it gets me more depressed and adds anger to it.  "Oh sure, now not only do I feel like shit, but I now feel guilty because I don't see the WONDERFUL!!!! things in my life."  And trying to be happy when you have a job making coffee while others who have less experience are working full time doing church things is frustrating.  I am not wishing ill will to my colleague, I am just asking for a little equality.

What comes across is that not only am I doing something wrong, but I can't even see the blessings in life properly.  I know it sounds crazy, but welcome to depression.  If it were logical, it wouldn't exist.  What also people don't get is that, at least for me, I AM trying to look for the positive things in life, but even that gets really tiring.  I am tired of feeling like I am "settling."

1 comment:

Urspo said...

My experience is when someone is depressed, most people who try to help have good intent, but don't know what to say or do.
Perhaps you could post some ideas helpful for you?